BSH Home Appliances Ltd (BSH) is committed to protecting your personal information. BSH must comply with the Privacy Act 1993 (Privacy Act), and handles the personal information that it collects in accordance with the Privacy Act. BSH is also required to comply with the Unsolicited Electronic Messages Act 2007.
What is personal information?
Personal information means information about an identified individual whether that information is true or not and whether it is recorded in a material form or not.
How does BSH collect your personal information?
BSH collects the personal information from you when you:
- attend one of our events, classes or product consultations;
- purchase our products or services or receive a refund;
- complete a warranty registration or make a warranty claim;
- respond to one of our surveys, promotions or competitions;
- otherwise contact us, either online through our website, our social media accounts via direct message, by email, mail, in person or by phone (you will be informed if we record phone calls and why);
- register to receive newsletters or updates from us;
- access and use any of our website services;
- post a consumer or product review or comment about a BSH product or review information about a BSH product on our websites or one of our social media accounts (including Facebook, Youtube and Instagram) or a third party website, such as sites operated by our retailers; or
- apply for a job with us.
Sometimes we may also collect your personal information from third parties such as when:
- you return a warranty registration to a third party you bought a BSH product or service from;
- given the nature of the job you have applied for, we require you to take a medical assessment, police check and/or drivers licence check;
- you publically post on or privately send a consumer or product review or comment about a BSH product via a third party website which our third party service providers help us to collect; or
- you visit and access or request information about BSH products and services from our retailer websites.
What personal information does BSH collect?
The personal information which BSH may collect about you includes:
- your name and contact or delivery details including address, email address and phone number;
- your credit card and/or banking details;
- details of the product or service you have purchased, including warranty details;
- information which you provide to us in response to one of our surveys, promotions or competitions;
- records of our communications with you, including any complaints, requests, claims, or after-sales service issues or queries;
- details of your attendance at one of our events, classes or product consultations;
- information provided by you and third parties as part of your job application (depending on the role for which you have applied this may include sensitive information and/or government related identifiers);
- information in any consumer or product review or comment you publically post on or privately send via our websites, social media accounts or third party website;
- your visits to and activities on our retailer websites in connection with our products and services; and
- if you apply for a job with BSH, depending on the type of job you apply for, we may also collect additional information such as your criminal record through police checks, and heath information for a functional capacity evaluation.
Can you deal with us anonymously or using a pseudonym?
Where practical and lawful, you can deal with us anonymously or use a pseudonym if you wish including when you post a consumer or product review or comment. However in many instances, if we cannot identify you or if you do not provide us with the personal information we request, then we may not be able to provide you with our products or services, respond to your enquiries, review, comments, posts or complaints, or assess job applications.
Website technology and cookie use
When you visit our websites our web server automatically records the following information:
- the name of your internet service provider,
- the website from which you visit us,
- the websites you actually visit, and
- the date and length of your visit.
We also allow Facebook to use third party cookies on the BSH websites to target advertising to you when you visit its pages and other social media platforms.
To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them, visit, allaboutcookies.org .
Our websites may also use other web analytics tools and technologies to facilitate the purchase of our products you wish to buy including by connecting you to products available on our retailers’ websites, and to understand your purchasing and other activities on our retailers’ websites in connection with our products and services.
Use of Personal Information
BSH will use your personal information for the purposes of carrying out our business including:
- delivering a product or service that you have purchased from us;
- customer administration, including for registering and managing warranties, responding to complaints, claims, enquiries, comments and requests, and performing after-sales services and assessing and responding to consumer or product reviews;
- product and service development;
- surveys, promotions, market research and direct marketing;
- assessing your job application;
- technical administration of the BSH websites; and
- complying with our legal obligations.
Disclosure of Personal Information
We may need to disclose to or share your personal information with third parties, some of which may be located overseas, including:
- to our related companies within the BSH Group (principally located in Australia, Singapore, India, China and European Economic Area countries);
- to third parties such as our agents, contractors, product distributors and service providers that we engage to provide services (including through their online platforms) to us or on our behalf (principally located in the United States of America, Singapore, India and European Economic Area countries);
- to social media sites such as Facebook to create customised audiences for targeted marketing; or
- where disclosure is otherwise authorised or required by or under an New Zealand law or court/tribunal order.
Direct marketing and opting-out
Depending on how we collect your personal information and interact with you, we may, with your consent where required, communicate with you (e.g. via email, SMS, mail or telephone or via our social media account messaging) about our current and new products and services or promotions. If you do not wish to receive direct marketing communications from us in the future you may opt-out at any time by contacting the Privacy Officer on 0800 807 723 or via email to email@example.com .
Quality and Security of Personal Information
BSH takes reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information it collects is accurate, up-to-date and complete, and when being used or disclosed, relevant for the purpose of the use or disclosure. Please help us to maintain the quality of your personal information by contacting us on the details below if you believe that the personal information which BSH holds about you may be inaccurate, incomplete, out-of-date or irrelevant.
Our security procedures are continually enhanced as new technology becomes available.
Access to and Correction of Personal Information
You may generally access on request personal information which BSH holds about you, and you may request without charge corrections to personal information which you believe is inaccurate, out-of-date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading. To make a request, please contact our Privacy Officer on the details below. We may need to ask you a few questions in order to verify your identity before we can respond to your request. If we are unable to provide access to, or correct your personal information, we will inform you in writing of our reasons and how you may take the matter further if you are not satisfied with our decision. You can also ask us to associate with your information a statement if you believe the information is inaccurate, out-of-date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading which we will take reasonable steps to do.
More information and complaints
If you have any questions about how BSH handles your personal information, or if you are concerned that we may have breached your privacy and wish to make a complaint, please put your complaint in writing and send it by mail or email to our Privacy Officer using the details below. We will investigate your complaint and will notify you of a decision in relation to your complaint as soon as practicable after it has been made.
If your complaint is not resolved to your satisfaction, you can contact the New Zealand Privacy Commissioner (NZPC) at www.privacy.org.nz or on (09) 302 8680 (Auckland) or (04) 474 7590 (Wellington) to make a query about your privacy rights, or to lodge a complaint about how we have handled your personal information. The NZPC has the power to investigate the matter and make a determination.
BSH Home Appliances Ltd
Air New Zealand Building
74 Taharoto Rd
Telephone: 0800 807 723
Effective from June 2019