Pickled Crunchy Vegetables are brilliant as a condiment to all meals. Goes well on sandwiches in salads, and on a cheese board.
Pickled Crunchy Vegetables
400g crunchy vegetables: cauliflower, broccoli, radish, carrots, red onion
250ml vinegar, white/ red wine vinegar, cider or apple vinegar
125 ml water
1 teaspoon sea salt
3 Tablespoon caster sugar
1 Tablespoon mustard seeds
1 Tablespoon whole pepper corns
- Sterilize your jars by washing well in warm soapy water, rinse well and place upside down on your oven rack.
- Heat up the oven to 160oC, once at temperature leave it in the oven at this temperature for 10 minutes.
- Place the lids in a saucepan and bring to the boil, carefully remove and tighten on your jar once you have filled them.
- Cut or slice your vegetables into whatever size you are needing big chunks or small pieces or long strips.
- In a saucepan add the vinegar, water, salt, and sugar and bring to a boil to dissolve the sugar. Once off the boil add the mustard seeds and peppercorns.
- Pack your vegetables in the sterilized jar, pour over the vinegar. Use a knife to push down the inside of your jar to remove any air bubbles. Tighten the jar lid. Once the jar has gone cold the lid will have formed a full locked seal.
- Start using it straight away, or keep the pickle for 8 weeks. It will start off tasting quite sharp and vegetables will be crunchy it will relax into itself over a period of a few weeks.
- The pickle is brilliant in sandwiches and salads, on a cheese board, or as a condiment on the side. Happy Pickling