Tandoori Tacos with Liam Ooi
Corn tortillas, at least 4 per person
1 white onion, finely diced
1 cup finely diced coriander
[Optional] Crumbly cow’s feta
Green chilli salsa
2-3 large green mild chillis
[Optional] 2-4 hot green chillis or birdseyes
1 large onion
2 cloves garlic
1c roughly chopped coriander
Mexican chicken tikka
2 free range chickens
1c unsweetened yoghurt
3 inches ginger, juiced
1 tin chipotle in adobo
1/4c Kashmiri chilli powder
1T achiote, ground to powder
1T ground coriander seed
1T ground cumin seed
2t garlic powder
2 limes, juiced
Salsa (can be made several days ahead)
- Preheat the oven on grill at maximum heat with a rack on the highest point.
- Halve the onion and peel the garlic. Remove stems, ribs and seeds from chiles.
- Arrange chiles, onion and garlic on an oven safe, foil lined tray and place on the top rack.
- Grill for 5–10 minutes till the chile skins are blackening. (You may need to remove the garlic and smaller chiles early to prevent them overcooking).
- Alternatively, grill the chiles and onions directly over an open gas flame with metal tongs.
- [Optional] Roughly dice chillis pound in a mortar & pestle till in a smooth paste with no obvious seeds/skins remaining. Add the garlic and coriander and further pound into a paste. Add diced onions and pound till everything is roughly crushed.
- Add all charred ingredients and chopped coriander to a blender (or narrow jug with a stick blender) and blend. Add 1/2t salt and juice of one lime. Add more salt and lime juice to taste — it should be very well seasoned and tangy.
Chicken (can be prepped day before and reheated)
- Crush the ginger into a rough paste in a mortar & pestle, or finely grate. Squeeze out the juice and discard solids.
- Mix all remaining marinade ingredients, along with squeezed ginger juice.
- Butterfly the chickens by slicing through the ribs to remove the backbone. Press down firmly on the breast to crack the breast plate. Save the backbones for stock.
- Slice a knife across the breast and thighs to help the marinade penetrate.
- Pour marinade all over the chicken and massage thoroughly. Cover, and let marinade in the fridge for at least an hour but no more than 5.
- Preheat an oven to 220c fan bake.
- Roast the chickens for 30-40 minutes, depending on the size of the chickens and your oven. The temperature should reach 72c the thickest part of the leg, and at least 64c at the breast. Switch to grill for the last 5-10 minutes for some extra char, if needed.
- Rest for at least 20 minutes, then remove meat from the bones and roughly dice with a knife. Keep warm in the oven till ready to serve.
- Finely dice an onion and coriander. Keep in a bowl with enough cool water to cover.
- Heat tortillas in a pan according to packet instructions.
- Stack warmed tortillas under a clean tea towel, wrapped to retain the heat and continue steaming through to make them pliable.
- Assemble each taco with a large spoon of filling, a generous pinch of the onion and coriander, a spoonful of salsa, a squeeze of fresh lime and an optional crumbling of feta.
- Devour immediately while hot.