Gaggenau Recipe: Wagyu Beef Cheek With Beetroot
By Chef Ryan Clift
(6 serving portions)
- 6 beef cheeks, cleaned
- 6 vacuum bags
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 L of beet juice
- 300 ml of sherry vinegar
- 100 gr quinoa
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 18 baby beets, peeled, cleaned and washed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 100 gr creamed horseradish
- 100 gr milk
- 10 gr salt
- 22 gr ultra-tex 4 (food starch)
- Season the beef cheeks with salt and pepper and vacuum seal the bags at full pressure or pressure level 3 on the vacuuming drawer.
- Set the sous-vide oven to 72°C and 100% steam and cook the beef cheeks for 48 hours.
- After cooking, chill them to 5°C as quickly as possible in the fridge.
- Store chilled cheeks in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Bring all liquids to a boil, add in quinoa and thyme and cook until tender.
- When ready, strain off any excess liquid.
- Seal all ingredients in a vacuum bag and make sure there are no air bubbles in the bag.
- Set sous-vide oven to 85°C and 100% steam and cook beetroots until tender.
- Leave them in the bag until needed.
- Whisk all ingredients together until the mixture thickens.
- Store in a sauce bottle until needed.
- To serve, cook the beef cheeks in the sous-vide oven at 72°C for around 40 minutes. At this stage, you can also add the beets to the same oven to reheat.
- Warm the quinoa in a pan with a splash of good olive oil and assemble as shown in the picture below.