You will become a Biscotti fan with this crisp chocolate dipped classic Italian biscuit.
4 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter
¾ cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 vanilla pod seeds
1 cup plain flour
1 cup whole meal flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
150 grams dark chocolate pieces Or any other type of chocolate
100 grams chopped almonds OR any other type of nuts
- Preheat oven to 170c, line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until creamy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla. Mix until well combined.
- Mix the flours, baking powder and add to the butter on low speed until just combined scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Finally gently mix in your chopped chocolate, nuts or any other dried fruits.
- Divide the dough in half. Shape each half into a ball and then use your hands to shape each ball into a log that is about 20 cm long.
- Place the logs on a baking tray lined with paper. Gently press the sides and ends of the logs to even them out and flatten them. If desired, sprinkle the logs with sugar.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until lightly golden and the center of the logs is almost firm and bounces back when touched. Let the logs cool on the tray for 30 minutes.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the logs into biscotti shape, on the diagonal. Press straight down with the knife, rather than sawing.
- Place the biscotti, cut side up, on the baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 more minutes, until dry. The centers of the cookies will be slightly soft and will crisp as they cool.
Biscotti can keep up to 2 weeks in an air tight container or 3 months frozen.