Recipe: Kumara Spinach Salad
This summery salad is easy to make and suits any occasion. With so many different layers of flavour it’s a real taste bud pleaser.
Serves: 4-6 people
Difficulty Level: Easy
Ready In: 10 minutes preparation, 30 minutes cooking
Appliance/Cookware used: Convention oven, Cooktop & frypan
• 800g mixed orange and red kumara
• 2 tbsp oil
• 1½ cups baby spinach leaves
• ½ cup chopped almonds
• ¼ cup sunflower seeds
• ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
• ¼ cup cranberries
• 2 tbsp butter
• 3 tbsp honey
• Salt, to taste
• Fresh pepper, to taste
• 4 tbsp white vinegar
• 2 tbsp whole grain mustard
• 3 tbsp honey
• 4 tbsp oil
- Preheat your oven to 200°C on CircoRoast or 210° fan bake in a conventional oven. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Peel and chop the kumara into bite size pieces, coat in oil and place on a lined oven tray. Roast for 20 minutes, turn over and roast for a further 10 min.
- Once roasted place in a large mixing bowl.
- In a fry pan, add the chopped almonds, seeds, cranberry, honey and butter. Heat all of the ingredients on a moderate heat until the butter and honey melt and start to bubble.
- Gently stir the mix and allow the nuts, seeds and honey to change color slightly and start to caramelize. Remove from the heat and add to the kumara, and gently toss through with the spinach.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a jar with a lid and shake to combine well. Do not add the dressing to your salad until just prior to serving.
- When you are ready to serve, pour the dressing over your salad and gently toss through.